• Welcome to Pet Natter! The official forum of TheHamsterHouse.com We'd love for you to be part of our community of helpful and friendly pet lovers. Click here to register now. It's really quick and easy.

The forum is a welcoming place for everyone, whether you're a pet expert or a complete newbie. So jump right in and say hello, ask a question, or offer some advice.

We hope you enjoy being part of Pet Natter. Join now.

What's the lifespan of most hamsters?

JPacker

Reaction score
I hear hamsters don't live too long, but how long do they usually live for? I heard they live a few years or so, but is that true? Can you keep hamsters alive for a lot longer if taken care of good?

Berry

Reaction score
It really depends.

I say you could get up to two+ years. Most likely no more than 3. However, most hamsters nowadays come from large breeding mills that breed for quantity, not quality. So the genetics are really bad and some hamsters die randomly without a known cause. I say the average amongst hamster owners would be 1 1/2 year or so.

You can, however; buy a hamster from an ethically sourced breeder in which case you will hopefully surpass a year, maybe getting up to 2-3 years.

And I believe roborovski's are the species that live longest on average. I say they are more likely to get to 3 years than any other hamster.

Good care can certainly provide better health, but it's not going to fix genetics. I know numerous owners who adopted their ham, and the hamster died before even reaching 1. The hams originally came from pet stores, hence breeding mills. I also know someone who's long-haired syrian lived to be 2years 9 months. So pretty old for a pet hamster. (And he did come from a petstore) Though he did have lots of problems in his life and they spent lots of money on vet care.

My hamster is around 1 year and 3-4months. She originally came from a PetStore, yet I adopted her from a friend. She's a roborovski, but I worry that she could die at any given moment in time due to her genetics.

Last edited:

Kenna

Reaction score
hamsters have a large rang of life span. i have had hamsters whohave died from a teeth disorder were her teeth were pushing up into her eyes, she died a few days after i adopted her. i have also had a hamster who lived for 5 years. on avrige there life span is about 2-3 years if takin care of well.

Berry

Reaction score
hamsters have a large rang of life span. i have had hamsters whohave died from a teeth disorder were her teeth were pushing up into her eyes, she died a few days after i adopted her. i have also had a hamster who lived for 5 years. on avrige there life span is about 2-3 years if takin care of well.
What species was the one that lived 5 years O.O (and where did you get them?)

Also wanted to add, even if they are well-taken care if it doesn't mean they will live that long. You can't prevent illnesses that come from bad genetics, even with good care. And sometimes even with vet treatment, there isn't much you can do.

Last edited:

Westie

Reaction score
I heard they don't live very long either. Which sucks, because they're cute little buggers, and you'd think they could live a little longer as long as they're well taken care of.
It really depends.

I say you could get up to two+ years. Most likely no more than 3. However, most hamsters nowadays come from large breeding mills that breed for quantity, not quality. So the genetics are really bad and some hamsters die randomly without a known cause. I say the average amongst hamster owners would be 1 year or so.
Yikes! I had no idea. I will certainly keep this in mind if I get a hamster.

tess

Reaction score
I hear hamsters don't live too long, but how long do they usually live for? I heard they live a few years or so, but is that true? Can you keep hamsters alive for a lot longer if taken care of good?
2 years I’m pretty sure