• Welcome to Pet Natter! We'd love for you to be part of our community of helpful and friendly pet lovers. Click here to register now. It's really quick and easy.

The forum is a welcoming place for everyone, whether you're a pet expert or a complete newbie. So jump right in and say hello, ask a question, or offer some advice.

We hope you enjoy being part of Pet Natter. Join now.

What are breeds of dogs that can live a long time?

h0rsey91

Reaction score
Are there any dogs that can live nearly as long as a cat? I would like to have a dog that can live for a long time. Are there any dogs that can live for many years? I imagine smaller dogs live longer, while bigger dogs have shorter life spans.

AnimalLover

Reaction score
It entirely depends on your definition of "long time". How long is long. The longest a dog has ever lived is about 29years. You need to specify the number of years you would wish your dog to live. Plus, the size of the dog doesn't define how long it would live. Just like human beings, it all depends on the lifestyle. Right from how you feed him/her to how you take care of its psychological needs.

If all factors are held constant, some of the dogs breeds that i have witnessed that have lived for long were Cockapoo (16 years), Jack Rusell Terrier(15 yrs), and maybe Chihuahua (about 17 years).

h0rsey91

Reaction score
It entirely depends on your definition of "long time". How long is long. The longest a dog has ever lived is about 29years. You need to specify the number of years you would wish your dog to live. Plus, the size of the dog doesn't define how long it would live. Just like human beings, it all depends on the lifestyle. Right from how you feed him/her to how you take care of its psychological needs.

If all factors are held constant, some of the dogs breeds that i have witnessed that have lived for long were Cockapoo (16 years), Jack Rusell Terrier(15 yrs), and maybe Chihuahua (about 17 years).
Well, I suppose as long as possible. I like the idea of having a pet that can survive as long as some people. I plan to of course take great care of the dog, take him/her to the vet, feed him/her well (healthy stuff too), and make sure we go on many walks together. :)

I've always thought a Chihuahua would be cool, but I imagine they're expensive, and I hear they bark a lot. A jack russell terrier would be great. My dad had one growing up and I could see him being fond of us getting one ourselves.

Willy_Meow

Reaction score
Labradors , huskies , many similar breeds of dogs can live for a large span if proper care is given to them.