• Welcome to Pet Natter! The official forum of TheHamsterHouse.com We'd love for you to be part of our community of helpful and friendly pet lovers. Click here to register now. It's really quick and easy.

The forum is a welcoming place for everyone, whether you're a pet expert or a complete newbie. So jump right in and say hello, ask a question, or offer some advice.

We hope you enjoy being part of Pet Natter. Join now.

Weight Loss (Hamster)

Berry

Reaction score
I've posted this in a few other hamster-dedicated forums, but maybe someone here has more insight.

Here's what you need to know:
Species: Roborovski
DISCLAIMER: I do not support breeding mills or buying hamsters directly from pet stores, but my hamster did come from one. I adopted her from a friend who unfortunately bought her from a pet store and had to rehome.

When I first got my hamster she was being fed a pretty fatty mix, and she was very very picky only eating some of the most fattiest foods out of her mix. She was around 30grams at this time. I switched onto a better mix (Robin's Gourmet Food for adult robos, which is 100% safe and has great GA levels btw.)

After two weeks of the new food, I weighed her and was happy to see she lost 2 grams. So she was now ~28grams. This wasn't concerning at all to me as it was a gradual loss and she was eating a much better and healthier diet rather than the fatty food from before. After another two weeks, she lost yet another 2grams. I wasn't worried here either. She had been doing great at eating her food, she wasn't picky and ate everything she needed. But after this I noticed she wasn't eating her food as quickly, it was already the 3rd or 4th day and her bowl had just less than half still in there. (I would scatter-feed, but I was monitoring her food intake until I was comfortable) This was a bit concerning to me, and I decided to weigh her. She had lost yet another 2 grams in less than a week of her last weigh. After another day or two, most of the food was gone, but there was still some less, which was unusual. I went into her burrows and checked for her hoard (She was already out, so I didn't wake her or dig her up :) ) I searched, but couldn't find her hoard. I even took it to the point where I took out all the bedding, but she didn't have a hoard. This made me very anxious. Now I know she has been eating to some extent as her food is disappearing, but it's disappearing at a much slower rate than her normal self. The first thought I had was her teeth, but I haven't been able to check them yet. I will though, but I do know she can at least chew somewhat as she has eaten her pellets, and deshelled some seeds. I will try to get a look at her teeth tonight or tmr, but unfortunately, it's going to be a bit difficult as she is still pretty skittish, she will run away if my hand touches her, but she is comfortable climbing onto my hands to get some treats. I might need to scruff her, but I've never had to do that before and she will most likely start running away before I'm able to. So I'll have to work something out about this. Other than teeth problems, I'm not sure if it's anything else. Any ideas?

I am going to be monitoring her weight and food intake closely, and figure out things from any changes. I've gotten suggestions from other people, and I am prepared to take her to a vet if needed (exotic ofc). But I wanted to see if anyone here had any different insight on this problem.

Sorry for the long post! I'm just really worried about her, but I am prepared to do whatever necessary to give her what she needs. I just want more opinions.

EDIT: It might be helpful for you to know how I usually feed

Day 1: A tablespoon of her mix
Day 2: Nothing
Day 3: 1/2-1 teaspoon of a foraging seed mix
Day 4: repeat

Berry

Reaction score
Sorta update: I'm scruffing her tonight to check on her teeth, I'm really hoping they aren't overgrown, but we'll just have to see.

Berry

Reaction score
Update 2: I scruffed her, it took a bit of time but it ended up not being too bad once I got her. Her teeth look perfectly fine to me so I'm sure it's some other underlying cause we are dealing with. I'll continue to monitor her weight and food intake.

Berry

Reaction score
Here's yet again another update:

She's been doing a whole lot better from what I can see. My scale, unfortunately, broke so I'm working on getting that fixed, but she definitely has a hoard now!