• Welcome to Pet Natter! The official forum of TheHamsterHouse.com We'd love for you to be part of our community of helpful and friendly pet lovers. Click here to register now. It's really quick and easy.

The forum is a welcoming place for everyone, whether you're a pet expert or a complete newbie. So jump right in and say hello, ask a question, or offer some advice.

We hope you enjoy being part of Pet Natter. Join now.

Plastic or metal hamster wheel?

Joggergirl

Reaction score
It's a given that when you get a hamster, you want to include the usual stuff in your cage. The big one is the hamster wheel. Those big boys need to workout from time to time. But, what is best? A plastic wheel or a metal one? I figure a metal one could cause more damage if another hamster is near it. But a plastic one might degrade and break a lot faster.

What would you suggest?

Newbee

Reaction score
Hamsters can and often do chew on plastic so a wheel might not last as long if it is made from plastic. I always opt for metal ones myself. They can't easily destroy them.

Alex001

Reaction score
A metal one lasts a lot longer as well. With plastic, you don't know how long it'll survive. And as Newbee stated, hamsters like to chew on plastic, so it'll gradually degrade over time. Anyway, a metal one should be just fine, and it's not like the cost is high to begin with.

Westie

Reaction score
Yeah, you're for sure better off with a metal wheel, just because plastic degrades so much faster and easier. A metal one lasts a lot longer for sure. The only downside, is that I lost a pet mouse once because of an exercise wheel. What happened was, one mouse was in the wheel doing his usual thing, and the other was under the wheel and I'm sure you can guess what happened next.

EagleEye

Reaction score
Metal is definitely the ideal way to go, and at the time usually not that much more expensive

Reaction score
Plastic;
Syrian hamsters need 12 inch wheel
Dwarfs need 8.5 inch wheel
I recommend comfort wheels

Reaction score
Yeah, you're for sure better off with a metal wheel, just because plastic degrades so much faster and easier. A metal one lasts a lot longer for sure. The only downside, is that I lost a pet mouse once because of an exercise wheel. What happened was, one mouse was in the wheel doing his usual thing, and the other was under the wheel and I'm sure you can guess what happened next.
Metal wheels aren't safe

Reaction score
It's a given that when you get a hamster, you want to include the usual stuff in your cage. The big one is the hamster wheel. Those big boys need to workout from time to time. But, what is best? A plastic wheel or a metal one? I figure a metal one could cause more damage if another hamster is near it. But a plastic one might degrade and break a lot faster.

What would you suggest?
Plastic wheels are safer for many reasons. Metal wheels aren't safe. Can cause injury and bumble foot. Syrian hamsters need 10 inch min size though 12 inch is better. Capture+_2020-11-27-03-00-39.png