• Welcome to Pet Natter! The official forum of TheGoldfishTank.com We'd love for you to be part of our community of helpful and friendly pet lovers. Click here to register now. It's really quick and easy.

The forum is a welcoming place for everyone, whether you're a pet expert or a complete newbie. So jump right in and say hello, ask a question, or offer some advice.

We hope you enjoy being part of Pet Natter. Join now.

Oranda Goldfish very sick

Sup

Reaction score
5 year old Oranda goldfish cannot swim, stays at bottom, moves very little. He is very lethargic and must be hand fed with a syringe while holding him. Symptoms started about 3 weeks ago. He appears bloated. Have tried adding salt to aquarium and Epsom salt baths. Have also fed green peas (peeled). Not sure what he has and how to cure. Recommendations for treatment are needed. 30 gallon tank. SUP

CkounZ

Reaction score
OH NO! that's terrible! i myself have a 5 year old oranda goldfish, and this exact situation has happened to me before. I have a red cap oranda goldfish, so it may not be the same type as yours. do u know what type of oranda goldfish you have? I can tell you what i did, but i need to know what type of oranda goldfish you have.

Sup

Reaction score
I am not positive. His head or cap is orange (body color). I have him in a hospital tank.

CkounZ

Reaction score
google orange cap oranda, tell me if any of those look kinda like ur fish

MichaelNY

Reaction score
I'd have thought the treatment should work for any type of goldfish. Sounds like it could be dropsy? Do you have a picture of your fish? Dropsy is VERY difficult to treat successfully, sadly. :(