• Welcome to Pet Natter! The official forum of TheHamsterHouse.com We'd love for you to be part of our community of helpful and friendly pet lovers. Click here to register now. It's really quick and easy.

The forum is a welcoming place for everyone, whether you're a pet expert or a complete newbie. So jump right in and say hello, ask a question, or offer some advice.

We hope you enjoy being part of Pet Natter. Join now.

New Hammy!

MamaTookaIggy

Reaction score
Hello! We got a new Hamster yesterday! She is a sweet girl and what I believe is a Syrian. The pet Store girl had no clue of course. She is a pet for my son but have had quite a few Hamsters in my life time but they have all been dwarfs or long hairs. She is much larger than them. After getting her home and setting up the 10 gallon tank the girl sold me I was like oh lord this is too small. What size tank do you recommend? I’m thinking 30 gallon but that may be too large. Tonight we introduce fresh broccoli and carrots. Also I saw Hamster potty’s at the store! Do these things really work? Here is our sweet girl Pumpkin! 🎃🎃❤️

Attachments

• 5A03E238-9E28-4574-9580-0D8AA21E2822.jpeg
    5A03E238-9E28-4574-9580-0D8AA21E2822.jpeg
    824.8 KB · Views: 2

Newbee

Reaction score
20 gallons is the typical standard recommended size for hamsters. The more room the better though so I think a 30 gallon would be a nice size.

Pumpkin

Reaction score
I think 20 gallons is always a safe size. Some pets stores try to sell you on 10 gallon tanks and that is just too small. Most will appreciate more room so anywhere between a 20 gallon and 50 gallon really would be good. If you do go bigger, he can have a friend or two.

Reaction score
Your right about her being a syrian hamster.
Hamsters require minimum 40g long tank or bin cage.