• Welcome to Pet Natter! The official forum of TheHamsterHouse.com We'd love for you to be part of our community of helpful and friendly pet lovers. Click here to register now. It's really quick and easy.

The forum is a welcoming place for everyone, whether you're a pet expert or a complete newbie. So jump right in and say hello, ask a question, or offer some advice.

We hope you enjoy being part of Pet Natter. Join now.

New and need info

Catwoman

Reaction score
Hello everybody,
I joined to chat with people who own or raise hamsters. I am a new owner of 2 hamsters that were together. They were said to have been make, but one is a female and I think she may be pregnant. I have had them for two days.

What is the best bedding for babies? Will the male harm the babies?

Berry

Reaction score
Hello everybody,
I joined to chat with people who own or raise hamsters. I am a new owner of 2 hamsters that were together. They were said to have been make, but one is a female and I think she may be pregnant. I have had them for two days.

Hi! It's best to separate them at this point if they are of opposite genders, so take the male out asap. What species are they? In general syrians should never be housed together, whereas dwarves are sometimes okay with it if they are already a bonded pair, but it's not recommended to put two together if not already. (And never house two of opposite gender together no matter the species)
I know this is promoting another forum, but I highly suggest you look at this: http://hamsterhideout.com/forum/forum/4-hamster-pregnancy-care/ and this http://hamsterhideout.com/forum/topic/129725-crash-course-on-hamster-pregnancies/.

DinoNuggetz

Reaction score
Hello everybody,

I would definitely separate them immediately. Try to find a softer paper bedding if that's what you're worried about. Make sure the mother is getting enough protein in her diet and try to remove any rough objects that a baby ham could get hurt on. Also later on into the pregnancy try to remove the wheel as to not have the babies be squashed. Also take a look at the articles Berry has sent since they are very helpful.