• Welcome to Pet Natter! The official forum of TheGoldfishTank.com We'd love for you to be part of our community of helpful and friendly pet lovers. Click here to register now. It's really quick and easy.

The forum is a welcoming place for everyone, whether you're a pet expert or a complete newbie. So jump right in and say hello, ask a question, or offer some advice.

We hope you enjoy being part of Pet Natter. Join now.

Keeping the tank clean!

Petz

Reaction score
In my experience, the worst part of owning goldfish was the mess they made. They are little poop machines!

For goldfish owners, what are some tips you would give to other people about keeping the tank clean?

Oranda88

Reaction score
Some tips...

- Don't overstock your tank (more fish = more mess)
- Don't use too much substrate where mess can hide and pollute your tank
- Use the correct size filter (or even a bit bigger) for your tank
- Get a manual or electric aquarium vacuum to suck up the mess in your substrate
- If you have enough space, consider getting tank cleaning fish like plecos and corydoras catfish

And try to enjoy cleaning your tank if you can. Like any pet, goldfish need to be looked after, so cleaning their tank and keeping their home nice for them is part of the fun.

lisaB

Reaction score
Some tips...

- Get a manual or electric aquarium vacuum to suck up the mess in your substrate
- If you have enough space, consider getting tank cleaning fish like plecos and corydoras catfish

And try to enjoy cleaning your tank if you can. Like any pet, goldfish need to be looked after, so cleaning their tank and keeping their home nice for them is part of the fun.
How often would you recommend doing the vacuum? Some people say to do it once a week for Goldfish but that seems like so much work! I always thought it was a once a month job.

Newbee

Reaction score
In the tanks I have had over the years, be them goldfish or not, doing weekly water changes makes a huge difference. Unless you have plants and soil, you will want to vac out the bottom once a week and do a 30% water change.

Willy_Meow

Reaction score
You can have a bowl , take the fish out with little water , meanwhile drain the aquarium to put new water in.

Petz

Reaction score
Some tips...

These all seem pretty good and logical to me! I feel like the biggest issue people have when it comes to tanks is overstocking because it just requires more and more cleaning.