• Welcome to Pet Natter! We'd love for you to be part of our community of helpful and friendly pet lovers. Click here to register now. It's really quick and easy.

The forum is a welcoming place for everyone, whether you're a pet expert or a complete newbie. So jump right in and say hello, ask a question, or offer some advice.

We hope you enjoy being part of Pet Natter. Join now.

Is it weird if a cat never meows?

Alex001

Reaction score
I made a topic awhile back about why cats meow towards humans. I think it's aimed at getting their attention. But, is it weird for cats to never meow towards humans? Like, is there something wrong if a cat never meows? I ask, because my cousin has an older cat, that has never meowed, or rarely does. Have you ever had a cat that never meowed towards anyone?

JPacker

Reaction score
I don't think so. Like it's been said, some cats meow for attention, but it's something cats don't do among other cats. I don't think it's a problem if cats don't meow. It depends on the cat really.

Westie

Reaction score
It just means your cat isn't as social. Cats meow for attention. Maybe some cats don't meow, because they don't want the attention, or know of other ways to get your attention.

Krunky

Reaction score
Cats don't communicate that way among themselves, they use body language for the most part. Meows are for us humans only. Some cats are more vocal than others. It's not uncommon to have a lazy sedentary cat, I had a silver short hair many years ago that barely moved from my bed, let alone meow. But I spoiled him to death. :) as I do with all my feline friends.