• Welcome to Pet Natter! We'd love for you to be part of our community of helpful and friendly pet lovers. Click here to register now. It's really quick and easy.

The forum is a welcoming place for everyone, whether you're a pet expert or a complete newbie. So jump right in and say hello, ask a question, or offer some advice.

We hope you enjoy being part of Pet Natter. Join now.

Introducing a new puppy, any tips?

WelshSteve

Reaction score
My wife and I would like to get a playmate for our Jack Russell. He is 4 years old and has a laid back temperament but the few times he has been around puppies, he seems a bit uneasy about it. Since I am back at work and my wife is starting a new part-time job, we want to make sure he has someone at home with him. We will likely adopt another Jack Russell or some other smaller breed, maybe a Pug. How does one go about introducing an adult dog to a puppy?

StaceyJ

Reaction score
A friend of mine has a Jack Russel and while he is the sweetest little guy to people, he absolutely HATES other Jack Russels. We are not sure why but it seems to be a common thing. I think if you do get another puppy, go with a different breed. I think a Pug would go lovely with a Jack Russel. Italian Greyhounds are also good with terriors.

John.Billings

Reaction score
Introducing a new puppy might be a challenging task but you've to work with patience here.

WelshSteve

Reaction score
A friend of mine has a Jack Russel and while he is the sweetest little guy to people, he absolutely HATES other Jack Russels. We are not sure why but it seems to be a common thing. I think if you do get another puppy, go with a different breed. I think a Pug would go lovely with a Jack Russel. Italian Greyhounds are also good with terriors.
I didn't even consider that. I looked it up and you are right, they don't seem to get along with other Jacks unless they are raised together. I will look into pugs more.

Tenerife

Reaction score
Parks are a great idea, let them get to know each other most in their favorite environment!

Willy_Meow

Reaction score
Well if you've a golden retriever , I don't think so you face some serious troubles to work things out.

StaceyJ

Reaction score
I didn't even consider that. I looked it up and you are right, they don't seem to get along with other Jacks unless they are raised together. I will look into pugs more.
Pugs seem to be fairly easy to train as well. I would imagine introducing a smaller more relaxed breed would go over better but you have to keep in mind that all puppies, no matter the breed, will start out a bit hyper. Jacks are usually pretty energetic though so yours shouldn't mind too much.