• Welcome to Pet Natter! The official forum of TheHamsterHouse.com We'd love for you to be part of our community of helpful and friendly pet lovers. Click here to register now. It's really quick and easy.

The forum is a welcoming place for everyone, whether you're a pet expert or a complete newbie. So jump right in and say hello, ask a question, or offer some advice.

We hope you enjoy being part of Pet Natter. Join now.

How many hamsters can live in one cage together?

billylondon

Reaction score
I have a somewhat small cage, about 450 square inches, and I want to get a fair amount of hamsters in there. I was wondering what the limit would be for this size of cage? Could I have 5 hamsters in there? Maybe more?

Newbee

Reaction score
That is considered the minimum size for ONE hamster. You will want to increase the size by at least another 200 square inches for each additional hamster.

billylondon

Reaction score
That is considered the minimum size for ONE hamster. You will want to increase the size by at least another 200 square inches for each additional hamster.
Thanks! I'm horrible when it comes to measurement, so I will certainly keep that in mind. So for 5 hamsters it would come out to around 1,000 square inches?

Reaction score
Please don't house Syrian hamsters together. They will fight and kill eachother. They are solitary animals by nature. You can have 2 dwarf hamsters of the same gender if from the same litter.