• Welcome to Pet Natter! The official forum of TheHamsterHouse.com We'd love for you to be part of our community of helpful and friendly pet lovers. Click here to register now. It's really quick and easy.

The forum is a welcoming place for everyone, whether you're a pet expert or a complete newbie. So jump right in and say hello, ask a question, or offer some advice.

We hope you enjoy being part of Pet Natter. Join now.

Help! New hamster-eating bars

tess

Reaction score
So I bought a cage a month ago, it’s wooden and it has glass in the front and kind of bar/mesh on the sides. It’s really, really big.it also has 3 levels. I also boughten wheel, chew toys, water bottle, paper bedding, and yes, she can burrow in it. Also hideouts and more chew toys.
I got my hamster, Daisy, from pet smart, and yes, I know that he hamsters come from rodent mills, so she might be scared of me because of that. She has eaten from me, (like out of my hand) but she is very skiddish and super jumpy. She’s been okay, though, and I thought it was just nerves. She’s been here for one whole week. I though she was fine, but an hour ago I caught her eating the bars of her cage!
help! I don’t know what I’m doing wrong!
does anyone know what to do??

Tess

Ps-that is her cage (the file attached)

Attachments

• 97EE3809-6819-490D-B255-6C9A974CCE6A.jpeg
    97EE3809-6819-490D-B255-6C9A974CCE6A.jpeg
    33.3 KB · Views: 7

Berry

Reaction score
So I bought a cage a month ago, it’s wooden and it has glass in the front and kind of bar/mesh on the sides. It’s really, really big.it also has 3 levels. I also boughten wheel, chew toys, water bottle, paper bedding, and yes, she can burrow in it. Also hideouts and more chew toys.
I got my hamster, Daisy, from pet smart, and yes, I know that he hamsters come from rodent mills, so she might be scared of me because of that. She has eaten from me, (like out of my hand) but she is very skiddish and super jumpy. She’s been okay, though, and I thought it was just nerves. She’s been here for one whole week. I though she was fine, but an hour ago I caught her eating the bars of her cage!
help! I don’t know what I’m doing wrong!
does anyone know what to do??

Tess

Ps-that is her cage (the file attached)
What is the floorspace of her cage? Usually, levels don't do much but added enrichment for hamsters based on the way they move and explore and such, so usually don't count the levels in the floorspace!

What is the depth of the bedding provided?

And what species is your hamster?

tess

Reaction score
What is the floorspace of her cage? Usually, levels don't do much but added enrichment for hamsters based on the way they move and explore and such, so usually don't count the levels in the floorspace!

What is the depth of the bedding provided?

And what species is your hamster?

Hi! Thanks so much for replying! The floor space is 1080 square inches on the bottom, not including the other levels. I made sure to get one with more than 700 square inches.
the bedding is around 5 inches, but there are spots in her cage where it’s more than 6 inches and she goes and buries in there often.
She is a Syrian short hair hamster!

tessa

Berry

Reaction score
Hi! Thanks so much for replying! The floor space is 1080 square inches on the bottom, not including the other levels. I made sure to get one with more than 700 square inches.
the bedding is around 5 inches, but there are spots in her cage where it’s more than 6 inches and she goes and buries in there often.
She is a Syrian short hair hamster!

tessa
Awesome cage btw!

Hm, since she is a female Syrian it could be her being bored/stressed/wanting to escape due to their natural hormonal drive to get more territory. 1080sqin is a pretty decent size for most female syrians, though still not enough to satisfy some. (Yet some will be satisfied, it just depends)

Are you able to add more bedding at all? 5-6" is a bit on the low side for a syrian, and I'm sure it will help her be less bored with more! It could add lots of enrichment. More crowding and toys will be good too!

I would say that you shouldn't worry too much about this behavior right now, as she has only been with you a week (I think?) and she's likely still getting used to settling in. But more bedding+more enrichment would be good if possible! Just crowd it up a bit more and hopefully, it'll help. If she continues to chew on the bars for the next couple of weeks I would be a bit more concerned though, but for now, I wouldn't worry :)

Hope this helps! Sorry if it's worded a bit strange ?

Also, I just had one more question: I couldn't really tell from the pic, but what size wheel do you have? It looks like a silent spinner I think? I just can't tell what size haha. If it's the 12" (I think it might be?) just be warned it can get 'unsilent' and a bit wobbly since they aren't the best quality though still a good size :)

I just also wanted to ask is this your first hamster? If so you seem to be doing great so far! A lot better than lots of other people I meet, it's kinda refreshing ??
Even if she's not your first hammy, you are still doing pretty great!

Edit: I also just wanted to do a quick disclaimer and say, I really hope I'm not coming across as rude or snotty or anything! It's not my intent if that's how it comes across, and I don't know your exact knowledge on hamsters so sorry if it seems like I'm telling you things you already know. I just hope it's coming across sounding okay!

tess

Reaction score
Awesome cage btw!

Hm, since she is a female Syrian it could be her being bored/stressed/wanting to escape due to their natural hormonal drive to get more territory. 1080sqin is a pretty decent size for most female syrians, though still not enough to satisfy some. (Yet some will be satisfied, it just depends)

Are you able to add more bedding at all? 5-6" is a bit on the low side for a syrian, and I'm sure it will help her be less bored with more! It could add lots of enrichment. More crowding and toys will be good too!

I would say that you shouldn't worry too much about this behavior right now, as she has only been with you a week (I think?) and she's likely still getting used to settling in. But more bedding+more enrichment would be good if possible! Just crowd it up a bit more and hopefully, it'll help. If she continues to chew on the bars for the next couple of weeks I would be a bit more concerned though, but for now, I wouldn't worry :)

Hope this helps! Sorry if it's worded a bit strange ?

Also, I just had one more question: I couldn't really tell from the pic, but what size wheel do you have? It looks like a silent spinner I think? I just can't tell what size haha. If it's the 12" (I think it might be?) just be warned it can get 'unsilent' and a bit wobbly since they aren't the best quality though still a good size :)

I just also wanted to ask is this your first hamster? If so you seem to be doing great so far! A lot better than lots of other people I meet, it's kinda refreshing ??
Even if she's not your first hammy, you are still doing pretty great!
Hi! Thanks again! Yes, she is my first hamster! Yes I think it’s the 12 but I’ll check. So far it’s noisy but not bad.
I can try to add more bedding. It wont be a problem ? also I bought some more toys and am going to make some toys on the weekend for her.
Good news! I held her today and she started shaking, but stopped after a little. Right now she is in her hammock, and she has been switching between eating/hammock/wheel. No chewing bars so far! I put some lemon juice on the bars as well so she wouldn’t chew and I think it helps. Ope, just as I’m typing this she started chewing on the bars. Now she stopped. ?
Thank you so much, I’ll reach out again if she keeps doing this!

Berry

Reaction score
Hi! Thanks again! Yes, she is my first hamster! Yes I think it’s the 12 but I’ll check. So far it’s noisy but not bad.
I can try to add more bedding. It wont be a problem ? also I bought some more toys and am going to make some toys on the weekend for her.
Good news! I held her today and she started shaking, but stopped after a little. Right now she is in her hammock, and she has been switching between eating/hammock/wheel. No chewing bars so far! I put some lemon juice on the bars as well so she wouldn’t chew and I think it helps. Ope, just as I’m typing this she started chewing on the bars. Now she stopped. ?
Thank you so much, I’ll reach out again if she keeps doing this!
You're doing awesome for a first time hamster owner, especially for a female Syrian! It would be awesome with more bedding and toys, sounds like you are on the right track!

Hopefully she'll stop soon once provided with even more enrichment

Good luck and let us know if it happens in the future often!

tess

Reaction score
You're doing awesome for a first time hamster owner, especially for a female Syrian! It would be awesome with more bedding and toys, sounds like you are on the right track!

Hopefully she'll stop soon once provided with even more enrichment

Good luck and let us know if it happens in the future often!
Thanks! Just made a little toy for her (toilet paper with flour and water as glue, and the seeds on the side) added some more bedding, gave her some more toys, played with her. She seems a little happier!

Berry

Reaction score
Thanks! Just made a little toy for her (toilet paper with flour and water as glue, and the seeds on the side) added some more bedding, gave her some more toys, played with her. She seems a little happier!
That's awesome :D

I hope everything goes well with her!

Also just curious haha, do you have any pics of her? I would love to see her <3

tess

Reaction score

Hey! Here’s a pic. It’s pretty low quality but it shows her haha. She kept biting her cage again so I’m thinking of setting up a bin cage for her :)

Attachments

• CEC9315E-470E-4EBB-B280-59EE2DD9B725.jpeg
    CEC9315E-470E-4EBB-B280-59EE2DD9B725.jpeg
    155.4 KB · Views: 3

tess

Reaction score

Also-a couple more things. I bought a bigger wheel for her! She hasn’t been running on hers very much so I thought she should get a bigger one. She’s also been okay with me holding her but not near her cage. Also.... to cure the bar eating thing, I put cardboard over the bars, and then painted it with the flour and water mixture and stuck seeds on it. Instead of biting bars, she’s eating the seeds :) I also bought some chew toys that she has chewed on (I guess at night)
So I think it’s going well! I’ll reach out again if I have problems! :)

Berry

Reaction score
Hey! Here’s a pic. It’s pretty low quality but it shows her haha. She kept biting her cage again so I’m thinking of setting up a bin cage for her :)
She's so cute!

Berry

Reaction score
Also-a couple more things. I bought a bigger wheel for her! She hasn’t been running on hers very much so I thought she should get a bigger one. She’s also been okay with me holding her but not near her cage. Also.... to cure the bar eating thing, I put cardboard over the bars, and then painted it with the flour and water mixture and stuck seeds on it. Instead of biting bars, she’s eating the seeds :) I also bought some chew toys that she has chewed on (I guess at night)
So I think it’s going well! I’ll reach out again if I have problems! :)
Sounds great! Again, just wanted to say how awesome it is that you're trying your best for this hamster <3
I hope everything goes well, and don't be afraid to ask any questions! I know I had lots of questions when I first got my hamster, and I still have questions to this day :)
Owning animals is just basically never ending research ?

tess

Reaction score
Sounds great! Again, just wanted to say how awesome it is that you're trying your best for this hamster <3
I hope everything goes well, and don't be afraid to ask any questions! I know I had lots of questions when I first got my hamster, and I still have questions to this day :)
Owning animals is just basically never ending research ?
Thanks! I know right? When I got my second dog, all they did was fight. It took me Never ending research and training to get the, to stop ?