• Welcome to Pet Natter! The official forum of TheHamsterHouse.com We'd love for you to be part of our community of helpful and friendly pet lovers. Click here to register now. It's really quick and easy.

The forum is a welcoming place for everyone, whether you're a pet expert or a complete newbie. So jump right in and say hello, ask a question, or offer some advice.

We hope you enjoy being part of Pet Natter. Join now.

Hamster biting

Oranda88

Reaction score
Hi all

My sister got a hamster, but it's really bity! It chews its cage bars all the time and I always worry that its going to bite my fingers if I go near it. I think my sister is worried too.

Is there a way to stop it biting??

DinoNuggetz

Reaction score
I have just a few questions for you.
Cage bar biting is a sign that the cage you have is too small and that the hamster would like to escape. DO you know what cage it is/how many sq in of floorspace?
Also do you know if the hamster is a dwarf or a Syrian and what gender.

Hamsters can develop cage aggression if they have too small of a cage meaning that they want to defend their cage as their territory, but they feel that they have to protect it because they don't have enough to satisfy their needs. Cage aggression is more common in dwarf hamsters and can really only be solved by getting a bigger cage.

As a temporary solution you can opt to b=put lemon juice on the bars, but it's not recommended because it doesn't really solve the underlying problem of a too small cage.

Berry

Reaction score
Hi all

My sister got a hamster, but it's really bity! It chews its cage bars all the time and I always worry that its going to bite my fingers if I go near it. I think my sister is worried too.

Is there a way to stop it biting??
Look at what ^^ said

Basically the questions are:
What species do you have, and age.
What cage/space are you providing?
Have you let the hamster settle in when you first got it? That could help with stress for the hammy. As it could be bar biting due to stress as well.

Kenna

Reaction score
Most likely your hamster is stressed and seared. try keeping it in a quite space and letting him chill for a few days. if your hamster is biting you like your food it could be your sent. try washing your hands with non sented sope so they wont think your food. aldo dont wake up your hamster when you dont need her awake bucause that is veary skary for hamsters. just to let you know the hamster bighting the cage bars is not normal behaver the hamsters cage is to small. the minimum for a cage is 450 sq. if you need a cheep opshon for a cage just get a larg bin and make some holes in the top.

Berry

Reaction score
Most likely your hamster is stressed and seared. try keeping it in a quite space and letting him chill for a few days. if your hamster is biting you like your food it could be your sent. try washing your hands with non sented sope so they wont think your food. aldo dont wake up your hamster when you dont need her awake bucause that is veary skary for hamsters. just to let you know the hamster bighting the cage bars is not normal behaver the hamsters cage is to small. the minimum for a cage is 450 sq. if you need a cheep opshon for a cage just get a larg bin and make some holes in the top.
Just wanted to add something:

The minimum actually isn't 450in^2. In no way is it an official minimum, however, it is one of the most recognised numbers throughout the USA and Canada. Besides, most hamsters won't be happy in 450 either way, so it's not a guarantee of your hamster cage being large enough if it meets that 'minimum'