• Welcome to Pet Natter! The official forum of TheHamsterHouse.com We'd love for you to be part of our community of helpful and friendly pet lovers. Click here to register now. It's really quick and easy.

The forum is a welcoming place for everyone, whether you're a pet expert or a complete newbie. So jump right in and say hello, ask a question, or offer some advice.

We hope you enjoy being part of Pet Natter. Join now.

Ever adopt a hamster that was pregnant?

Elsie

Reaction score
A few years back, my sister got her daughter a hamster for her birthday. We noticed she was gradually getting bigger, and didn't understand why at first. Until we later realized that she was pregnant. I believe they ended up bringing her back to the pet shop. I wish she kept them all, but I'm sure they got a great home after that.

Anyway, has this ever happened to you? Where you adopt a pet and it turns out it was pregnant?

JPacker

Reaction score
I can't say I have, but this sort of thing has to happen a lot when it comes to an actual pet shop. You have to consider, that the hamsters are probably in a pen together, and so they're probably mating often.

Reaction score
Most pet shops sex and separate rodents for a reason. This is to prevent this from happening. I have never had it happen for me personally but I only shop at places I trust when it comes to buying items and adopting furry critters.

Newbee

Reaction score
Most pet shops sex and separate rodents for a reason. This is to prevent this from happening. I have never had it happen for me personally but I only shop at places I trust when it comes to buying items and adopting furry critters.
I have top agree with this. They should never be kept in cages together like this, you will end up with babies. It is always best to get a single male or a pair of females, but never both genders in one cage.

Reaction score
I have top agree with this. They should never be kept in cages together like this, you will end up with babies. It is always best to get a single male or a pair of females, but never both genders in one cage.
I know a friend of mine years ago when we were kids got a pair of them. Had no idea one was a male and the other was a female. They ended up having several litters and because they didn't know, they, unfortunately, were not kept alive very long (the male killed them).