• Welcome to Pet Natter! The official forum of TheHamsterHouse.com We'd love for you to be part of our community of helpful and friendly pet lovers. Click here to register now. It's really quick and easy.

The forum is a welcoming place for everyone, whether you're a pet expert or a complete newbie. So jump right in and say hello, ask a question, or offer some advice.

We hope you enjoy being part of Pet Natter. Join now.

dust/sand bath

Emmalope

Reaction score
Is a dust or sand bath really necessary for hamsters? How big of a container would it need to have for a Syrian hamster?

Berry

Reaction score
Is a dust or sand bath really necessary for hamsters? How big of a container would it need to have for a Syrian hamster?
I consider a sand bath necessary. Dust baths are dangerous and can cause respiratory infections so it's important to use a non-dusty sand :)

If you are on a budget something like Children's Play Sand will work just fine! Just make sure to sift and bake it. Reptile sand also works as long as there is no added calcium and such, though it is more expensive.

Syrians tend to not need them or enjoy them as much as other hamsters, but I still think it's important to provide one. A small container would be fine, Syrians don't tend to roll in the sand, so anything they can fit in (and you can fit a hide in) will be fine. Something like a Tupperware container would be fine.

Something like the following would work well for a Syrian :)

jeje

Reaction score
Dust baths are dangerous and can cause skin problems, tou need a tray flr the sand bath, amd hamsters need sand baths or they will be dirty

Khaleesi

Reaction score
My Syrian has two baths and he uses the bigger one as a bathroom - toilet and shower in one. It's healthy for them to have and use sand baths, as it encourages some of their natural behavior. Also, generally speaking, a hamster that uses their sandbath instead of peeing in their nest is a hamster that feels secure in their environment.

Berry

Reaction score
Also, generally speaking, a hamster that uses their sandbath instead of peeing in their nest is a hamster that feels secure in their environment.
I've actually never heard that before, I find that it really doesn't matter and it's just where the hamster wants to go. I know many many hamsters who are very tame and feel safe in their environment yet pee in their burrows.