• Welcome to Pet Natter! The official forum of TheHamsterHouse.com We'd love for you to be part of our community of helpful and friendly pet lovers. Click here to register now. It's really quick and easy.

The forum is a welcoming place for everyone, whether you're a pet expert or a complete newbie. So jump right in and say hello, ask a question, or offer some advice.

We hope you enjoy being part of Pet Natter. Join now.

Do you think height is better or width?

Newbee

Reaction score
Some people recommend using taller cages and tanks while others recommend using longer ones. I know for gerbils, longer tends to be better so they have more surface area but even then, they still seem to like to climb. What are your thoughts?

Alex001

Reaction score
I'd say for a longer cage instead of a higher one, especially if they like to climb the cage. As long as they have the room to move around, they should be fine. What I would do, is make some tunnels for them. They love tunnels, and you could probably rig something up in the cage.

Pumpkin

Reaction score
It depends on the hamster really. Some like to climb and some don't. There are also types of hamsters like the Siberian dwarf that are more about exploration than anything.

Reaction score
I have found that mine prefers more surface space. He tried climbing more when he was new and younger. I think this is common for most rodents. They check to see if they can get out.

Reaction score
Longer is better. Hamsters can easily fall and get hurt. Longer provides more running space. I recommend 40g long tank or bin cage minimum size for a hamster.

Kenna

Reaction score
most hamsters do not like climbing. this behaver could be becuse your hamster is stressed because your cage is not big enougf for your hamster the bair minimum for a cage is 450 sq. just loo up bin cage on youtube for a chep alternitive for a cage. to anser your queshtion longer i better

Berry

Reaction score
Longer is better as hamsters tend to not be the best climbers. Some hamsters will enjoy climbing, but it doesn't mean you should have taller. It's very easy for them to get hurt and such. Chinese hamsters are the ones who enjoy climbing the most :)

They need cages a bit more to how you would a mice, but longer is still better imo.