• Welcome to Pet Natter! The official forum of TheHamsterHouse.com We'd love for you to be part of our community of helpful and friendly pet lovers. Click here to register now. It's really quick and easy.

The forum is a welcoming place for everyone, whether you're a pet expert or a complete newbie. So jump right in and say hello, ask a question, or offer some advice.

We hope you enjoy being part of Pet Natter. Join now.

Do you prefer water bottles or bowls for water?

Reaction score
I think both work just fine for hamsters but it really comes down to the owner's preference. I have always used bowls myself. It can be a bit messy but I am reminded to clean out his water dish daily where I would forget to change his water for days when it was in a bottle.

Loveheart

Reaction score
Water bottles work better for them. The only rodents I think do better with bowls are rabbits and guinea pigs. Mice, gerbils, hamsters and so on are too messy to use a bowl and have a habit of tipping them over.

Walkies

Reaction score
Bottles seem to be better because they don't leave a mess of things. I think that Loveheart is right about bunnies and piggies. Both do better with bowls.

Petz

Reaction score
Bottles are great in my opinion because they are easier to clean and fill. I always spill bowls and make messes with them. I think some rodents, even hamsters prefer bowls though.

MichaelNY

Reaction score
Yeah, everything i've read suggests that bottles are better than bowls. They hold more water and get less messy!

Reaction score
I am honestly not shocked here. I asked this question on reddit a few months back I think it was and most people said they prefer bottles over bowls. I guess I am one of few to prefer bowls over bottles!