• Welcome to Pet Natter! The official forum of TheHamsterHouse.com We'd love for you to be part of our community of helpful and friendly pet lovers. Click here to register now. It's really quick and easy.

The forum is a welcoming place for everyone, whether you're a pet expert or a complete newbie. So jump right in and say hello, ask a question, or offer some advice.

We hope you enjoy being part of Pet Natter. Join now.

Can a hamster be kept with a gerbil?

Pumpkin

Reaction score
I never thought to do this myself but the question popped into my head when I saw someone keeping mice with gerbils. Mice aren't as common to keep as pets as hamsters or gerbils but now I am wondering if they can be kept together.

Joggergirl

Reaction score
Looks like there's already a topic similar to this here: https://petnatter.com/threads/do-gerbils-get-along-with-hamsters.110/ But I'll asnwer it here. It's probably not a good idea to put two species of animals together, even if they're close in look and all that. I wouldn't put gerbils with hamsters, because you don't know how they'll react with each other. If anything, you could be putting two animals together that might fight and kill each other.

I can see maybe them getting along at birth if they're set up together around that time, but if you just put them in a cage together without them being socialized with each other, it probably will not work. But that's my opinion on the matter. I might be totally wrong.

EagleEye

Reaction score
As with all things in life it depends. Sort of like some wouldn't recommend keeping Cats and Dogs together, but some of the best buds are dogs and cats at times.

Petz

Reaction score
They can but it is risky because they have different personalities. Rodents are known to fight over minor differences within their own species. I would not risk it myself.