• Welcome to Pet Natter! The official forum of TheHamsterHouse.com We'd love for you to be part of our community of helpful and friendly pet lovers. Click here to register now. It's really quick and easy.

The forum is a welcoming place for everyone, whether you're a pet expert or a complete newbie. So jump right in and say hello, ask a question, or offer some advice.

We hope you enjoy being part of Pet Natter. Join now.

Bananas or Apples sparingly?

Emmalope

Reaction score
In the literature we just got with our new hamster, they starred the foods that should be given less frequently. We can't tell if the star goes with the apples or bananas. Also, since there are sooooo many hamster treats on the market, what are the good, bad and ugly? Bonus if the treats are also good for guinea pigs!

Berry

Reaction score
All safe fruits should be given in moderation as treats for hamsters. Same with vegetables and other treats.

Since fruit tends to have lots of natural sugars and water, only give a small piece every few days, for a syrian a bit more will be okay, but for dwarfs you really need to limit it.

The best treats for hamsters are honestly fruits, vegetables, seeds, etc. Commercial hamster treats such as yogurt drops shouldn't be fed at all imo. At most once a month. My hamsters' favorite treat is millet, but she also enjoys sunflower seeds :)

Treats overall should be less than 10% of your hamsters' diet in order to maintain a good GA level of what they are consuming.

So to answer the question, both apples and bananas should be fed in moderation.

Emmalope

Reaction score
And just so I can verify with my 10 year old - that's one moderate item per week, not one of each moderate item, right? Banana or Apple, not banana AND apple?

Berry

Reaction score
And just so I can verify with my 10 year old - that's one moderate item per week, not one of each moderate item, right? Banana or Apple, not banana AND apple?
Well I would say that you can feed a small piece of banana OR apple one day, then maybe after 3-4 days you can do another piece of banana OR apple. But I wouldn't really do both at once unless it's a really small piece of each :) I would also say you could probably feed banana a bit more than apple, just because of the water content and such, but I'm not positive.
And again Syrians can have a bit more than dwarfs, so the pieces don't have to be tiny, but they still need to be relatively small compared to what a human might eat :)

So yes some Banana or Apple every week would work just fine, but it's okay to give a little more if you want. But yes, you have it right :)

Emmalope

Reaction score
ok, great. I'm so proud of my 10 year old for researching and asking all these questions. One more for now on food, I saw in small print on the forum you posted that those GA were for hamsters over 6 months. Ours is 1.5-2 mo. What does she need more or less of? And I never did say - she's a Syrian.

Berry

Reaction score
ok, great. I'm so proud of my 10 year old for researching and asking all these questions. One more for now on food, I saw in small print on the forum you posted that those GA were for hamsters over 6 months. Ours is 1.5-2 mo. What does she need more or less of? And I never did say - she's a Syrian.
Your daughter seems like she'll be a great hamster mom if she keeps up this research and question asking! :D
It's great to see younger children asking questions instead of 'knowing' everything right off the bat haha, I bet this hamster will be happy with her :)

For younger growing hamsters, more protein is ideal. So for a young Syrian a GA something like this would be good:
Protein: 20-22%
Fat: 6-9%
Fiber: 9-13%

These are just estimated numbers, but anything sorta around that range would work decently :)
I know those numbers are a bit different from what I posted before, but we honestly don't have enough research to know the exact needs of GA, and I have found the above numbers to work well. Fat and Fiber is a bit of a debated thing with how much, I really think a bit more fat is okay as long as your hamster is healthy. Same with fiber.
If you need specific food recommendations I can help with that as well depending on what's available to you :)