• Welcome to Pet Natter! The official forum of TheHamsterHouse.com We'd love for you to be part of our community of helpful and friendly pet lovers. Click here to register now. It's really quick and easy.

The forum is a welcoming place for everyone, whether you're a pet expert or a complete newbie. So jump right in and say hello, ask a question, or offer some advice.

We hope you enjoy being part of Pet Natter. Join now.

Are those exercise balls safe?

Petz

Reaction score
I feel like getting one of those exercise balls would be a good way to allow my hamster to have more freedom and exercise but some things I have been reading online have implied they just aren't good for them and are actually unsafe. Does anyone know why that would be?

Reaction score
They are safe so long as you keep an eye on them. You don't want to have them use the ball near anything dangerous like steps and you want to be sure to clean it out every 20 or so minutes so they aren't rolling around in their poops.

Reaction score
No they aren't. They can get really hot and become very stressful. They may seem like they are having fun but they are really just running to get out. Best to let them run around in the bathtub.

Oranda88

Reaction score
I've always prefered the idea of a wheel to a ball. You can have both, but I think wheels are better and safer. Just make sure to get a solid wheel with no gaps in, otherwise your hamster could fall through the gaps and hurt its legs.

Berry

Reaction score
Hamster balls are highly unsafe and imo considered inhumane. Due to the tiny ventilation holes, a hamster isn't able to have proper air and it can get quite hot in there. Their toes or feed could also get caught in the ventilation slits and these balls aren't very secure. The lid could easily pop off and your hamster could escape or get hurt. Because of their spherical shape, the hamster is unable to do anything but run, and they have trouble stopping. Some people say their hamster enjoys the ball because they run around, but if you were in a tiny ball you would try to escape, causing the ball to move forwards as well and bumping into a lot of things. The hamster would also not be able to see out of it.

Free-roaming in a hamster safe room, or a playpen will make up for time outside their cage instead of a ball. They also need a wheel to help get excersise.