• Welcome to Pet Natter! The official forum of TheHamsterHouse.com We'd love for you to be part of our community of helpful and friendly pet lovers. Click here to register now. It's really quick and easy.

The forum is a welcoming place for everyone, whether you're a pet expert or a complete newbie. So jump right in and say hello, ask a question, or offer some advice.

We hope you enjoy being part of Pet Natter. Join now.

Are there different breeds of Hamsters?

Westie

Reaction score
Are there different types of breeds when it comes to Hamsters? I don't really know a whole lot when it comes to hamsters, but wouldn't mind having a few different breeds. Any suggestions?

Berry

Reaction score
Sorry, I know this is old, but I couldn't help responding.

There are no hamster breeds. But there are species :)

Those include:
Syrians
Chinese
Russian Campbell Dwarf (RCD)
Winter White (WW)
Roborovski (Robo)
and
Hybrids (RCD+WW)

No other hamster species can breed together besides RCD+WW's and unfortunately they include lots of health problems as in the wild they never would have found each other to breed together. We don't encourage deliberate breeding of these hybrids, yet it can't be helped as there are many pet mills.

Within these species, there are different fur-colorations, but those aren't referred to as breeds either, just different coats.

Syrians tend to be the most popular species, and have been 'domesticated'* the longest, Chinese hamsters tend to be the climbing species, RCD, WW, and Hybrids tend to be one of the most common dwarf hamsters, and robos tend to be the smallest and most skittish because they haven't been *domesticated as long.

*I'm using the term 'domesticated' loosely as hamsters aren't domesticated as a cat or dog are.