• Welcome to Pet Natter! The official forum of TheHamsterHouse.com We'd love for you to be part of our community of helpful and friendly pet lovers. Click here to register now. It's really quick and easy.

The forum is a welcoming place for everyone, whether you're a pet expert or a complete newbie. So jump right in and say hello, ask a question, or offer some advice.

We hope you enjoy being part of Pet Natter. Join now.

Are long-hair hamsters hard to find?

Walkies

Reaction score

I love the look of these. They are also called Teddy Bear hamsters. I have never seen one in a pet shop in all my years. Are they hard to find or something? Do you need to find a specialty breeder for this kind of pet?

Oranda88

Reaction score
My friend used to have one of these. I don't think it was too hard to find. His mom asked at the local pet shop and they either had one or told them where to find one. Only thing i'd say is that I remember it sleeping ALL day... it's something people often complain about with them (though obviously its not the hamsters fault lol!) so be careful to research it properly before you buy

Reaction score
It isn't that they are hard to find, it is just that most common pet shops don't typically carry them all year round. I often see them at smaller shops and specialty places. They are more expensive in most cases.

Reaction score

I love the look of these. They are also called Teddy Bear hamsters. I have never seen one in a pet shop in all my years. Are they hard to find or something? Do you need to find a specialty breeder for this kind of pet?
Hello. You can find them at a breeder or pet shop or your local rescue. The words "teddy bear" black bear" "panda bear" are just pet store names for selling. They are all Syrians. Teddy bears are actually called long haired, black bears are just black, panda bear is black banded.
Pet stores use these names to make extra off them like adding fancy to budgies when really they are just a budgie