• Welcome to Pet Natter! The official forum of TheHamsterHouse.com We'd love for you to be part of our community of helpful and friendly pet lovers. Click here to register now. It's really quick and easy.

The forum is a welcoming place for everyone, whether you're a pet expert or a complete newbie. So jump right in and say hello, ask a question, or offer some advice.

We hope you enjoy being part of Pet Natter. Join now.

Are hamsters good pets for depression?

h0rsey91

Reaction score
Depression is a major thing that runs through my family. I find having pets has helped me through a lot in my life. Without pets, I probably would be stuck a lot of the times. But the compassion and love animals give, has helped me recover a lot in my life.

With that being said, are hamsters good pets for depression?

Berry

Reaction score
It really just depends on you as a person.
Depression is hereditary in my family as well, and I find that having the responsibility of a pet like a hamster helps me personally.

I enjoy seeing my hamster progress in her taming and her confidence and it brings me lots of joy. But hamsters in general aren't going to thrive on human interaction, they aren't going to be all cuddly as a dog would.

If you are sensitive to death they won't be the greatest for you either, they live maybe 2 years in captivity (maybe longer if gotten from an ethical breeder). They are prey animals and they get stressed very easily as well. Some might never be tame enough for you to hold.

Now don't get me wrong, hamsters are amazing pets! But there are going to be cons and dealbreakers depending on who you are.

Elsie

Reaction score
Yeah, what Berry said. Depression for one person is going to be different for someone else. So someone may feel more cheerful around pets and animals, others may not want to deal with anything, or may not be a fan of certain animals to begin with.

I think having a pet in general helps a lot with depression. It can sometimes bring people back from their problems. But it depends on the person.

Prrrfect

Reaction score
While keeping a pet isn't a "cure" for depression - after all, depression is a very complex medical problem - I think keeping ANY kind of pet is good for a person's wellbeing.